For over a century, Nativity of Our Lord has been the spiritual home of San Francisco's Slavic Catholic communities — Croatian, Slovenian, and Polish.
First dedicated in June of 1904, the Church of the Nativity of Our Lord at 240 Fell Street in downtown San Francisco has been the gathering place for Croatian and Slovenian immigrants, their children, and other Slavic Catholics for more than a hundred years.
During the 1850s, many Croatian (primarily from Dalmatia) and Slovenian men from lands in the Austro-Hungarian empire followed thousands from around the world to California's goldfields seeking their fortunes. The first Poles came to the San Francisco Bay Area in the late 1840s. By 1860, 730 Poles resided in California.
Once all these immigrants began to marry and have families, their desire for a church where they could hear God's Word in their own languages, and praise Him in songs from their own traditions became even more powerful. By the turn of the century, Slovenians and Croatians were regularly petitioning San Francisco's Archbishop Riordan to find a piece of land where they could build their church.
Eventually their petitions were answered. The Archbishop established the parish of Church of the Nativity of Our Lord, purchasing the lot on January 6, 1903. The Slavonic Mutual & Benevolent Society was an active supporter of the building effort. Father Bontempo, S.J., a Jesuit priest fluent in Croatian, served as shepherd to Slavic Catholics in the Bay Area during this time.
The first Nativity church was dedicated on June 5, 1904 — and burned to the ground in San Francisco's great earthquake and fire of 1906. Father Turk immediately began the task of rebuilding on the very same spot. The congregation worshiped in a basement church until the grand celebration of the newly rebuilt Nativity, dedicated once more on January 21st, 1912.
Through two World Wars, the Great Depression, and the Cold War, Nativity continued to be a haven and home for Croatian and Slovenian immigrants and refugees, as well as Polish, Czech, Slovak, and other Slavic Catholics.
In 1994, Archbishop John J. Quinn closed nine churches in San Francisco — Nativity among them. Nativity's Slovenian and Croatian parishioners held prayer vigils in front of the closed church each Sunday morning for two and a half years. Under the newly appointed Archbishop William Levada, their prayers were answered. In September 1996, Archbishop Levada assigned Fr. Czeslaw Rybacki, S.Ch., as the new pastor to serve all three communities. Nativity was reopened in December 1996, just in time for Christmas services.
In September 2003, Fr. Jerzy Frydrych, S.Ch., was welcomed as Nativity's pastor. He arrived in the midst of preparations for the parish's 100th Anniversary and continued the planning with the parish Centennial Committee. Today, Nativity looks forward to a bright future as one of the San Francisco Archdiocese's active ethnic parishes.

Croatian (primarily from Dalmatia) and Slovenian men from the Austro-Hungarian empire arrive in California seeking their fortunes in the goldfields.
The first Poles arrive in the San Francisco Bay Area. By 1860, 730 Poles reside in California.
Archbishop Riordan establishes the parish of the Church of the Nativity of Our Lord, purchasing the lot at 240 Fell Street.
The first Nativity church is dedicated — a milestone for San Francisco's Slavic Catholic community.
The church burns to the ground in San Francisco's great earthquake and fire. Father Turk immediately begins rebuilding on the same spot.
The newly rebuilt Nativity Church is dedicated once more as God's house, celebrated with great joy by the community.
Nativity serves as one of three liturgical centers for Polish immigrants in the city.
Croatian Fraternal Union Lodge #1007 "Ivan Mestrovic" is organized at Nativity.
Polish Sunday Masses are celebrated regularly at Nativity Church.
Archbishop John J. Quinn closes nine churches in San Francisco, including Nativity. Parishioners hold prayer vigils every Sunday for two and a half years.
Archbishop William Levada assigns Fr. Czeslaw Rybacki, S.Ch., as new pastor. Nativity reopens in December 1996 — just in time for Christmas.
Fr. Jerzy Frydrych, S.Ch., is welcomed as Nativity's new pastor, arriving in the midst of preparations for the parish's 100th Anniversary.